Friday, October 16, 2009
Emeril's Minestrone Soup
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large leek, white and light green parts only, split in half and rinsed well under
running water, thinly sliced
1 large onion, chopped, about 1 ½ cups
2 large carrots, roughly chopped
2 large celery ribs, roughly chopped
1 medium zucchini, cubed, about 1 ¼ cups
1 medium yellow squash, cubed, about 1 ¼ cups
10 cups vegetable stock
1 (28-ounce) can whole tomatoes, drained and chopped
2 Parmesan cheese rinds, about 5 by 2-inches
1 teaspoon dried basil or oregano leaves
½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
2 medium new potatoes, scrubbed and cubed (6 ounces or 1 ¼cups cubed)
2 cups packed fresh chopped kale leaves, coarsely chopped
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon fresh black pepper
¼ cup small, dried pasta such as ditalini
½ cup Great Northern beans, soaked overnight or 1 (15-ounce) can white
beans, drained and rinsed
Garlic loaf for serving if desired, recipe follows
1. In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the leek, onions, carrots, and celery and sauté until soft, about 4 minutes. Add the zucchini and yellow squash and cook another 3 to 4 minutes. Add vegetable stock, tomatoes, cheese rinds, basil or oregano, crushed red pepper, potatoes and kale. Bring to a boil, and then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 30 minutes. Add the pasta and beans and simmer for a final 15 minutes.
2. Remove the cheese rind with a slotted spoon and serve with slice of Garlic Loaf.
½ cup extra virgin olive oil
¾ cup olive oil
3 tablespoons chopped garlic
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley leaves
¼ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon dried oregano
¼ teaspoon salt
Pinch of fresh black pepper
1 loaf French or Italian bread, about 22 inches long, cut in ½ lengthwise
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Combine all ingredients except for the bread in a small bowl with a whisk. Brush the mixture evenly over the cut sides of the bread. Place the bread on the prepared baking sheet and bake until golden brown and just crisp, 12 to 15 minutes.
3. Cut into desired portions and serve hot.
Yield: 6 to eight servings