BAKED EGGPLANT WITH OLIVE & CAPER STUFFING
By: Lorena Uriarte
Use large eggplants for a main course or smaller ones for entrees
Preparation: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
Chopping board, sharp knife, garlic press, large bowl, baking tray
Oven at 200C
2 cups breadcrumbs
1 lemon, zest and juice
4 garlic cloves, minced
1/3 cup capers, drained and finely chopped
20 green olives, pitted and finely chopped
¼ cup parsley, chopped
¼ cup fresh oregano or thyme
½ cup extra virgin olive oil
Salt and Pepper to taste
1. Trim green tops off eggplants and cut in half lengthways
2. Using a small sharp knife cut deep slashes across the flesh. Don’t cut the skin!
3. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside on a baking tray.
4. In a large bowl combine the remaining ingredients well with your hands
5. Pull open the slashed eggplants and fill with stuffing.
6. Fill all eggplant halves and press any extra stuffing on top
7. Bake in a medium hot oven till tender (30 min for small 45 minutes for large)
8. Eggplant should be tender and tops golden brown
Serve hot or warm with a tomato salad or as part of an Antipasto spread.