SWEET STICKY RICE W/ MANGO & COCONUT
By: Lorena Uriarte
A traditional Northern Thai dessert, with a modern cooking method!
Preparation: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Microwave, Oven at 180C to toast shredded coconut, glass bowl, cling film, chopping board, knife, small saucepan, baking tray
1c white sticky/ glutinous rice
1c coconut milk
2 Tbs sugar
2 pinches salt
2 mangoes, peeled and sliced (or lychees, pineapple, papaya, bananas etc)
Garnish: Toasted coconut and palm sugar syrup
½ c shredded coconut, toasted in the oven on a baking tray
½ c palm sugar
½ c water
1. Soak the sticky rice in warm water for 10 minutes.
2. Drain and place in a glass bowl with 1 cup water, cover with cling film.
3. Cook in microwave for 3 minutes.
4. Carefully peel back cling film and stir rice thoroughly.
5. Replace cling film and cook a further 3 minutes.
6. Whilst rice is cooking heat coconut milk, sugar and salt in saucepan.
7. Check if rice is cooked, stir through ¾ of the hot coconut milk.
Palm sugar syrup:
1. Chop ½ cup of palm sugar and combine with ½ cup water in a saucepan.
2. Bring to the boil and stir till dissolved.
3. Set aside to cool.
To serve: may be served hot or cold.
Spoon 2 tablespoons of sticky rice into a bowl and serve topped with mango slices, remaining warm coconut milk, palm sugar syrup and shredded coconut.