Wednesday, December 2, 2009
By: Lorena Uriarte
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour
Equipment: chopping board, knife, grater, large mixing bowl, pastry brush, 20cm x 30cm baking tray
2 bunches English spinach or silverbeet (or a combination)
2 sprigs fresh dill, chopped
4 green shallots, chopped
400g Greek feta cheese
150g ricotta cheese
½ cup finely grated kefalograviera, parmesan or pecorino cheese
2 tablespoons dry breadcrumbs
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
½ teaspoon black pepper
50 ml olive oil
16 sheets packet filo pastry
150 g butter, melted
1. Trim spinach/ silverbeet removing the stalks. Wash well and chop finely. Dry and set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl combine feta, ricotta and hard cheese. Mash well with a fork.
3. Add eggs, breadcrumbs, nutmeg, pepper, oil and mix well.
4. Add spinach mix through and set aside.
5. Grease a 20cm x 30 cm baking tray.
6. Take filo pastry from box and cover with a clean tea towel.
7. Take one sheet of filo pastry and place on the bottom of the tray making sure all sides are covered.
8. Using a pastry brush lightly spread some melted butter on the pastry.
9. Place the next sheet on the tray and brush with melted butter.
10. Continue till roughly half the sheets are used.
11. Pour in spinach and cheese mix, spreading the filling till it is level.
12. Place a sheet of filo pastry on the top, brush with butter.
13. Continue with the remaining filo pastry and butter.
14. Make sure final layer is well buttered.
15. Trim and tuck in the top into the sides.
16. Using a sharp knife cut through the top layer of pastry into diamond shapes.
17. Bake in 180C oven for 45- 50 minutes till golden brown and cooked through.
To serve: Cool slightly before serving cut into diamond slices.